From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Suspend to RAM caused crashes
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:29:36
1 Here's a strange one:
2
3 Suspending a Pentium4 32bit machine used to work a treat. For years. Then
4 around 9 months ago or so, I can't recall exactly, it started causing crashes.
5 What happens is that the monitor will go to sleep and the disk will stop
6 immediately, but the machine continues to run and run and run ...
7
8 At that point I have lost access to the keyboard and the monitor does not wake
9 up if I move the mouse. Using ssh to connect shows that the machine is off
10 the network, so I assume that the NIC is also suspended. The only way to
11 recover is to pull the plug. :-(
12
13 Unfortunately, mysql has left a lock file behind, so it won't start at reboot
14 until I remove the lockfile.
15
16 Now, here's the strange thing about all this. I have 4 RAM modules, 2x1G and
17 2x500M. Following the manual I have installed them in this order:
18
19 slot 1 - 1G,
20 slot 2 - 0.5G,
21 slot 3 - 1G,
22 slot 4 - 0.5G
23
24 If I try to suspend the machine soon after boot, when it is still using low
25 amounts of memory, the machine will suspend each time without fail (just like
26 it used to do in the past).
27
28 If I wait until the machine is using more than 1G or so, then it will always
29 crash.
30
31 I'm running memtest86+ just in case, but 3 passes and no errors are shown so
32 far. Suspend to RAM is really a time saver on this machine and was being used
33 at least 4-5 times a day. Now the box is running non-stop 16 hours a day or
34 more, which is wasteful (although with the Pentium4 I'm saving on central
35 heating bills!) Any ideas what I can look into to resolve this?
36 --
37 Regards,
38 Mick