From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can a forced volume check be interrupted?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:45:56
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Sent: Tue, April 12, 2011 3:29:35 PM
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can a forced volume check be interrupted?
7 >
8 > >> >> Probably, but why would you want to? it fixes any errors, and makes the
9 > >>file
10 > >> >> system relatively clean again so that things function well - and
11 things
12 > >>don't
13 > >> >> get lost.
14 > >> >> If you skip it, you risk data corruption on disk.
15 > >> >
16 > >> > That misses the point. I have rebooted sometimes just for a quick
17 > >> > change, possibly to try a different kernel, and intending to reboot
18 > >> > several times. Then whoops! it starts a long fsck scan, not to repair
19 > >> > damage, but just because some counter went to zero. What a waste.
20 > >> >
21 > >> > It's like insisting on an oil change exactly every 3000 miles. No,
22 > >> > sorry, I will wait until it is convenient for *me*, not the odometer.
23 > >> >
24 > >> > So his question is, once the fsck has started, can he ^C to bomb it
25 > >> > off, or do anything else to skip what has started?
26 > >>
27 > >> Exactly. I couldn't get it to stop with ^C or i or I.
28 > >>
29 > >
30 > > No. You can't. Nor do you want to at that point.
31 > > Once it has started it really should run until completion otherwise you
32 >really
33 > > risk data corruption.
34 > > If you want to stop it, you have to prevent it from starting in the first
35 >place.
36 >
37 > Yeah, that can really be a drag. Last night my Gentoo HTPC checked
38 > the 2TB drive for 2 hours when I rebooted after a movie we were
39 > watching froze.
42 As I said, if you are anticipating such a situation - or like the situation you
43 are in - you can use the interactive boot or other methods to keep it from
44 running to start with.
45 That is your best bet, and your safest.
46
47 Ben