From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can a forced volume check be interrupted?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:31:22
1 >> >> Probably, but why would you want to? it fixes any errors, and makes the
2 >>file
3 >> >> system relatively clean again so that things function well -  and things
4 >>don't
5 >> >> get lost.
6 >> >> If you skip it, you risk data  corruption on disk.
7 >> >
8 >> > That misses the point.  I have rebooted  sometimes just for a quick
9 >> > change, possibly to try a different kernel,  and intending to reboot
10 >> > several times.  Then whoops! it starts a long  fsck scan, not to repair
11 >> > damage, but just because some counter went to  zero.  What a waste.
12 >> >
13 >> > It's like insisting on an oil change  exactly every 3000 miles.  No,
14 >> > sorry, I will wait until it is convenient  for *me*, not the odometer.
15 >> >
16 >> > So his question is, once the fsck  has started, can he ^C to bomb it
17 >> > off, or do anything else to skip what  has started?
18 >>
19 >> Exactly.  I couldn't get it to stop with ^C or i or  I.
22 > No. You can't. Nor do you want to at that point.
23 > Once it has started it really should run until completion otherwise you really
24 > risk data corruption.
25 > If you want to stop it, you have to prevent it from starting in the first place.
26
27 Yeah, that can really be a drag. Last night my Gentoo HTPC checked
28 the 2TB drive for 2 hours when I rebooted after a movie we were
29 watching froze.
30
31 - Grant