From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can a forced volume check be interrupted?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:22:41
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
4 > >> Probably, but why would you want to? it fixes any errors, and makes the
5 >file
6 > >> system relatively clean again so that things function well - and things
7 >don't
8 > >> get lost.
9 > >> If you skip it, you risk data corruption on disk.
10 > >
11 > > That misses the point. I have rebooted sometimes just for a quick
12 > > change, possibly to try a different kernel, and intending to reboot
13 > > several times. Then whoops! it starts a long fsck scan, not to repair
14 > > damage, but just because some counter went to zero. What a waste.
15 > >
16 > > It's like insisting on an oil change exactly every 3000 miles. No,
17 > > sorry, I will wait until it is convenient for *me*, not the odometer.
18 > >
19 > > So his question is, once the fsck has started, can he ^C to bomb it
20 > > off, or do anything else to skip what has started?
21 >
22 > Exactly. I couldn't get it to stop with ^C or i or I.
25 No. You can't. Nor do you want to at that point.
26 Once it has started it really should run until completion otherwise you really
27 risk data corruption.
28 If you want to stop it, you have to prevent it from starting in the first place.
29
30 Ben