From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can a forced volume check be interrupted?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:04:15
1 >> Probably, but why would you want to? it fixes any errors, and makes the file
2 >> system relatively clean again so that things function well - and things don't
3 >> get lost.
4 >> If you skip it, you risk data corruption on disk.
5 >
6 > That misses the point.  I have rebooted sometimes just for a quick
7 > change, possibly to try a different kernel, and intending to reboot
8 > several times.  Then whoops! it starts a long fsck scan, not to repair
9 > damage, but just because some counter went to zero.  What a waste.
10 >
11 > It's like insisting on an oil change exactly every 3000 miles.  No,
12 > sorry, I will wait until it is convenient for *me*, not the odometer.
13 >
14 > So his question is, once the fsck has started, can he ^C to bomb it
15 > off, or do anything else to skip what has started?
16
17 Exactly. I couldn't get it to stop with ^C or i or I.
18
19 - Grant