From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: installation problems
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 13:51:31
1 On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 09:38:54 -0400,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Is there anything more recent I c an use as a rescue disk? I have
7 > > version 5.1 but after that, not sure what they did, but could not even
8 > > get a decent root prompt and I do need zfs, otherwise there are many
9 > > options.
12 > Don't want to beat a dead horse, but zfs is also one of the reasons I
13 > use the ubuntu cds. It is easy to get zfs running on an ubuntu
14 > livecd. I forget if it is preinstalled, but I'm pretty sure it is all
15 > packaged so it is basically a 1-2 liner to add it. I haven't looked
16 > at it recently but the Funtoo docs suggest doing the same which is
17 > where I got the tip.
18 >
19 > At the time systemrescuecd didn't support zfs out of copyright
20 > concerns. Perhaps that has changed. People have strong feelings on
21 > zfs. I get them, though it is 100% FOSS (even if the licensing was
22 > engineered to cause GPL issues). IMO the biggest technical issue with
23 > using it on linux is that it basically pulls in a bunch of other BSD
24 > logic around stuff like caching so it isn't super-clean from a kernel
25 > perspective. However, that is also part of why it is so stable - they
26 > basically containerized the thing so that they didn't have a bazillion
27 > regressions, and I think they've been slowly working on getting rid of
28 > the middle layers.
31 OK, one problem is going to be, I need a command l ine, not a gui and
32 I need speakup, so I will have to check and see if the Ubunto latest
33 has that in the kernel.
37 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
38 How do
39 you spend it?
40
41 John Covici wb2una