From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: installation problems
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 13:39:10
1 On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Is there anything more recent I c an use as a rescue disk? I have
4 > version 5.1 but after that, not sure what they did, but could not even
5 > get a decent root prompt and I do need zfs, otherwise there are many
6 > options.
9 Don't want to beat a dead horse, but zfs is also one of the reasons I
10 use the ubuntu cds. It is easy to get zfs running on an ubuntu
11 livecd. I forget if it is preinstalled, but I'm pretty sure it is all
12 packaged so it is basically a 1-2 liner to add it. I haven't looked
13 at it recently but the Funtoo docs suggest doing the same which is
14 where I got the tip.
15
16 At the time systemrescuecd didn't support zfs out of copyright
17 concerns. Perhaps that has changed. People have strong feelings on
18 zfs. I get them, though it is 100% FOSS (even if the licensing was
19 engineered to cause GPL issues). IMO the biggest technical issue with
20 using it on linux is that it basically pulls in a bunch of other BSD
21 logic around stuff like caching so it isn't super-clean from a kernel
22 perspective. However, that is also part of why it is so stable - they
23 basically containerized the thing so that they didn't have a bazillion
24 regressions, and I think they've been slowly working on getting rid of
25 the middle layers.
28 Rich