From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am a "f*****g retard". Can you help me?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:52:17
1 On 16 Sep 2008, at 17:50, Matthias Bethke wrote:
2 > on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:26:56PM +0200, you wrote:
3 >> Seriously: can someone more skilled than me explain why using
4 >> --resume-skipfirst and then trying to solve the unmerged packages
5 >> is/can be
6 >> a bad idea? How can this break the system?
7 >
8 > Frankly I have no idea. I've heard that argument many times in the
9 > Paludis discussions but never even an attempt at an explanation that
10 > went beyond "it breaks your system". My understanding is that you can
11 > have two kinds of situation if an upgrade fails:
12 > ...
13 > b) the failed package is a dependency of at least one other package
14 > In case a) you get to keep the old version, no problem.
15
16 The risk is that you want to install X that depends upon Y.
17
18 The ebuild for X states that version >1.2.3 of Y must be used because
19 there's a bug in 1.2.2.
20
21 The new version of Y fails to compile, so when X is compiled it only
22 has the old version of Y to work with. It may compile OK but not work
23 or feature a security bug.
24
25 In the ideal world X's ebuild will fail, recognizing that Y is too
26 old, and I think it will - my explanation may not literally be
27 correct, but I hope you get the idea.
28
29 What should NOT be in dispute is that Portage is a big old mess and
30 well in need of replacement. It was never designed to do what it does
31 now. Hopefully the replacement chosen to be integrated into Gentoo
32 itself will be chosen on its merits, whether that be Paludis or
33 something else.
34
35 Stroller.