From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mini-install-cd: default root password or other idea
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 15:42:29
1 On 11/5/20 4:26 PM, Michael wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 5 November 2020 15:18:43 GMT n952162 wrote:
3 >> I know, of course, this doesn't exist, but why is screen(1) asking for it?
4 >>
5 >> I'm re-installing gentoo. I booted off the image and ran screen. Did
6 >> everything find, with multiple screens, inclduding for ssh to other
7 >> hosts. I got to the point where I ran emerge-webrsync. It taking way
8 >> too long, downloading into /mnt/gentoo/var/tmp/gentoo-20201104.* at a
9 >> snails pace. I closed all my other screens. It kept downloading ...
10 >>
11 >> then, suddenly, the screen was erased (maybe I hit a key?) and I stuck
12 >> at the top of the screen with
13 >>
14 >> "Screen used by root on live cd"
15 >>
16 >> "Password:"
17 >>
18 >> Am I going to have to kill the installation and start at least the
19 >> webrsync all over?
20 > If it says root is using screen, so you haven't 'erased' it. When you run
21 > 'screen -r' from another console does it let you get in it?
22
23 I can't get its attention.  It doesn't listen to any key (e.g. ctl-a).
24 It seems that there's an overriding screen security mechanism.
25
26 Some expert on the internet said: if such a password were fixed, it
27 would be useless, but there are all kinds of security mechanisms built
28 it that are not applicable,  e.g. during installation.  But they
29 activate anyway.  That's why a default password would make sense.