From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Moving the system from one disk to another
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:03:34
1 On 05/04/2010 00:51, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
2 > Dnia 2010-04-04, o godz. 21:04:03
3 > Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:35:11 +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Whichever way you go about it, ensure that no pseudo-filesystem or
8 >>> bind mounts are present within "/mnt/oldrootfs" at the time.
9 >>
10 >> Use the -x option with rsync to stop it descending into other
11 >> filesystems.
15 > AFAIK
16 >
17 > "mount --bind / /somewhere" and rsync'ing /somewhere/ instead of / would
18 > be more useful then "-x" option - stage1,2,3 has static /dev entries
19 > which should also be copied. Since udev mounts it with tmpfs, rsync
20 > with -x would skip those entries (static and from tmpfs).
21
22 Well, no, because my response was based on the fact that the duplication
23 will be carried out from an alternate environment provided by a CD/DVD,
24 as Meino clearly stated in the original post. Thus, bind mounts,
25 pseudo-filesystems and chroots need not come into the equation
26 whatsoever. Indeed, it's the very same concern that you express which
27 resulted in my recommendation to avoid such shenanigans and keep it
28 simple. Ergo, just mount the root filesystem - nothing else - and copy
29 it as-is. Static /dev entries would be copied without issue, as would
30 everything else. It really couldn't be simpler.
31
32 You post hinges on the notion that he would be performing the process
33 while booted from the system he is duplicating, in which case your
34 advice would, of course, be entirely sensible. Ergo, he would indeed be
35 best advised to bind mount / to a temporary directory and use that as
36 the source for the exact reasons that you mention. I personally would
37 not recommend doing it under these circumstances but it can certainly be
38 done (though I'd suggest dropping to runlevel 1 first).
39
40 Cheers,
41
42 --Kerin