From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happens with masked packages?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 01:35:54
1 On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:11:02AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:29:52 -0500 "John J. Foster"
3 > <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > | On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 04:11:08PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > Absolutely not. If there's one thing we've established over the
6 > | > years, it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the
7 > | > slightest clue what's best for them in terms of package stability.
8 > |
9 > | Excuse me my friend, but I switched to Gentoo because of this
10 > | attitude with every other distro I've moved away from !!!
11 >
12 > The distro people are right. The difference between Gentoo and most
13 > other distributions is that we make it easier for you to override our
14 > decisions, should you feel the need.
15 >
16 Ciarin,
17
18 That's a very true statement, and part of the attraction of Gentoo. But
19 your comment about most users (at least of this distro) not having the
20 slightest clue what's best for them is totally off base, (except, perhaps,
21 where I'm concerned ;-)).
22
23 \rant mode off\
24
25 festus
28 I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer gods than
29 you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
30 you will understand why I dismiss yours.
31 ...Stephen F Roberts