From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 05:14:18
1 On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 06:06:35PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > I'll spend some time I don't have reading the archives, then see.
6 > Well, they are about to move some openrc things to /usr or at least that
7 > was the way it was leaning earlier. The thread is titled "rfc: using
8 > /libexec" if you are interested. If you still don't like the idea of
9 > not being able to have /usr on a separate partition, may want to speak
10 > up soon. Once openrc stuff gets moved there, you won't boot with a
11 > separate /usr anymore.
12
13 I'm not quite sure what is going to happen with this yet. If we do move
14 openrc to /usr, there will be a way provided to boot with separate /usr.
15
16 > What is happening to Linux nowadays? :/
17
18 In a nutshell, it is because of udev rules running things in /usr. That
19 forces /usr to be available as part of the early boot sequence.
20
21 This is definitely not a choice that the gentoo disto made; it is coming
22 from several upstreams.
23
24 William