From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 05:25:21
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 06:06:35PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> I'll spend some time I don't have reading the archives, then see.
5 >>
6 >> Well, they are about to move some openrc things to /usr or at least that
7 >> was the way it was leaning earlier. The thread is titled "rfc: using
8 >> /libexec" if you are interested. If you still don't like the idea of
9 >> not being able to have /usr on a separate partition, may want to speak
10 >> up soon. Once openrc stuff gets moved there, you won't boot with a
11 >> separate /usr anymore.
12 > I'm not quite sure what is going to happen with this yet. If we do move
13 > openrc to /usr, there will be a way provided to boot with separate /usr.
14
15 Actually, I would prefer the /run option and put all the stuff needed
16 for booting in there. Just keep it small. I was planning to separate
17 /usr but I don't want the hassle of a init* system. So, instead of just
18 creating a new partition for /usr, I got to redo the whole drive setup.
19 If I do end up with the init* anyway, I may as well use lvm too. I sure
20 hate to jump into all that at once tho. Murphy's Law just loves the
21 crap out of me.
25 >> What is happening to Linux nowadays? :/
26 > In a nutshell, it is because of udev rules running things in /usr. That
27 > forces /usr to be available as part of the early boot sequence.
28 >
29 > This is definitely not a choice that the gentoo disto made; it is coming
30 > from several upstreams.
31 >
32 > William
35 I know it is from upstream but it still tastes really bad. ;-)
36
37 Dale
38