From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Compile gcc reboot my laptop!
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:38:48
1 On 2007-03-28, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2007-03-28, Arnaud FARINE <arnaud.farine@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> I try to compile gcc 4.1 on my gentoo 2.16-r9. During compilation my machine
6 >> is stopped.
7 >> I doesn't get error message in messages log, emerge log or dmesg...
8 >>
9 >> Strange...Could you know this problem ?
10 >
11 > It sounds like faulty memory to me.
12 >
13 > Run memtest86 for a day or two -- or at least overnight.
14
15 I've also seen problems like that caused by a bad sector in a
16 swap partition and a bad disk controller card/cable. Since it's
17 a laptop, another possibility is overheating due to faulty
18 fan-speed control.
19
20 IMO, there's a 95% or better chance it's a hardware problem.
21
22 RAM is the easiest to test (and the easiest to fix), so start
23 there.
26 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is a tattoo
27 at real, like a curb or a
28 visi.com battleship? Or are we
29 suffering in Safeway?
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list