From: Fabio <facorread@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compile gcc reboot my laptop!
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:30:13
1 Hey! How about emerging gcc while NOT being in KDE or even X?
2
3 You should also check that there is plenty of space on the partition
4 where /var resides.
5
6 On 28/03/07, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
7 > On 2007-03-28, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
8 > > On 2007-03-28, Arnaud FARINE <arnaud.farine@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > >> Hello,
10 > >>
11 > >> I try to compile gcc 4.1 on my gentoo 2.16-r9. During compilation my machine
12 > >> is stopped.
13 > >> I doesn't get error message in messages log, emerge log or dmesg...
14 > >>
15 > >> Strange...Could you know this problem ?
16 > >
17 > > It sounds like faulty memory to me.
18 > >
19 > > Run memtest86 for a day or two -- or at least overnight.
20 >
21 > I've also seen problems like that caused by a bad sector in a
22 > swap partition and a bad disk controller card/cable. Since it's
23 > a laptop, another possibility is overheating due to faulty
24 > fan-speed control.
25 >
26 > IMO, there's a 95% or better chance it's a hardware problem.
27 >
28 > RAM is the easiest to test (and the easiest to fix), so start
29 > there.
30 >
31 > --
32 > Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is a tattoo
33 > at real, like a curb or a
34 > visi.com battleship? Or are we
35 > suffering in Safeway?
36 >
37 > --
38 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
44 Fabio A. Correa D.
45
46 Physics Dept, Universidad Nacional, Bogota, Colombia
47 facorread@×××××.com
48 ffaaccdd@××××××××.uk facorread@××××××××.co
49 My webpage and OpenPGP key at http://facorread.150m.com
50 My alexandria.cc address is not available anymore.
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list