From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drives not detected in repeatable order.
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 15:13:37
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2011-10-04, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 12:03:47PM -0700, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s wrote
4 >>
5 >>> They have the advantage over UUID's in that you can set them and
6 >>> therefore can be human readable. Also, if you use a desktop
7 >>> environment, they look nice in file managers.
8 >>
9 >>   I assume that name clashes can be avoided by using hostname-label.  My
10 >> question is... are there any circumstances where you can use UUIDs but
11 >> not labels, or visa versa?  If so, I'd prefer to go with the more robust
12 >> option from day 1, rather than switch later.
13 >
14 > The only thing I came across was a mention that some filesystems (e.g.
15 > VFAT) don't support labels.  Though all the "good" ones appear to.
16
17 VFAT supports labels. mkfs.vfat -n sets the label name at creation
18 time: there must be a way to change it later.
19
20 Regards.
21 --
22 Canek Peláez Valdés