From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Chrony-2.2 failing
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:22:10
1 On Thursday 19 Nov 2015 19:17:11 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Does it fail consistently? IOW, now that everything else has settled
4 > down, does "/etc/init.d/chrony start" still fail?
5
6 Yes, it's a hard fault:
7
8 # /etc/init.d/chronyd start
9 * Caching service dependencies ... [ ok ]
10 * Starting chronyd ...
11 * start-stop-daemon: caught an interrupt
12 * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/chronyd died
13 * Failed to start chronyd [ !! ]
14 * ERROR: chronyd failed to start
15
16 > What about logs?
17
18 None evident.
19
20 > If none, you can inspect the start-stop-daemon line in the init file,
21 > get the command line it launches chrony with, and see what that prints
22 > to the console.
23
24 Here's where it gets strange. When I run that command, chronyd runs hunky-
25 dory, but calling it from /etc/init.d/chronyd gets me the error above. This
26 is what works:
27
28 # start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/sbin/chronyd --pidfile
29 /run/chronyd.pid -- -f /etc/chrony/chrony.conf -s -r
30
31 And this stops it:
32
33 # start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile /run/chronyd.pid
34
35 All those file names are copied directly from the init.d file. I did wonder
36 about a timing problem somewhere, but I wouldn't expect that always to turn
37 out the same way.
38
39 As I said, chronyd works on this four-core i5 box, just not on the two-core
40 Atom.
43 Rgds
44 Peter