From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Where to set language with lightdm
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 17:19:05
1 Hey there,
2 I've been having some problems with GDM recently (freeze after reboot,
3 freeze after suspend) so I thought I'd give lightdm a shot.
4 So far everything works great, but I cannot set a language for a lightdm
5 session.
6
7 My system locale is set to en_US.utf8 because when working with command
8 line tools I prefere if they talk english to me.
9 But I like my Desktop (everything running under X) to be in german. With
10 GDM that was no problem: just set the system locale to english and
11 create a .dmrc file in the home directory where you set
12 'Language=de_DE.UTF-8'
13
14 Lightdm ignores that file. After some google foo I found that if you
15 edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and set
16 'show-language-selector=true' you can choose a language before logging
17 in (like with GDM) - however, I can choose what i wan't, my Desktop is
18 still in english.
19
20 So far it seems that nothing works, except setting the system's default
21 locale to german in /etc/env.d/02locale - but that's not what I want.
22
23 Do you have any thoughts?