From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine: incremental back-ups
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 00:50:49
1 121005 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2012-10-04, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> & I'm considering setting up an incremental back-up system
4 >> so that if the SSD collapses,
5 >> I can restore everything from files stored on the HDD without re-installing.
6 >> What do people who do incremental back-ups use ?
7 > rsnapshot :
8 > http://www.rsnapshot.org/
9 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Rsnapshot
10 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Backup#rsnapshot
11 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/A_simple_backup_scheme_using_rsnapshot
12
13 Thanks for this & the other suggestions.
14
15 I had a look at Rsnapshot, but your docs make its usefulness clearer,
16 esp the "simple scheme". Dirvish hasn't been updated since 2007 ;
17 someone appears to have mentioned Dar, but I didn't receive the msg ;
18 Backuppc + Rdiff-backup look possible ;
19 there's also Kbackup & many others under the app-backup dir.
20
21 A "simple scheme" of incrementally backing-up my home dir daily,
22 home dir + /etc + others weekly & the whole system monthly is my need;
23 uploading the increments off-site wb useful too, if not too large.
24 At present, I follow a less intensive version of this scheme,
25 but have to do the various jobs by hand.
26
27 The machine is running c 16 hr/day , so I have to ensure
28 that cron jobs wb run at times when it's awake,
29 which is not predictable on any given day.
30 IIRC that used to require Anacron, but that's not installed now.
31
32 Further comments are welcome. HTH others.
36 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
37 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
38 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca