From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: another grub problem: SOLVED
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 15:23:55
1 (Summary: I had a problem with installing grub into the MBR.
2 Two thoughtful replies set me straight)
3
4 At Mon, 07 Jul 2008 08:46:34 +0100 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5
6 > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 20:02:08 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
7 >
8 >> grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
9 >> (hd0,2)
10 >>
11 >> As expected hd0 is the disk
12 >
13 > You should now run "root (hd0,2)"
14 >
15 >> grub> setup (hd <TAB>
16 >> Possible disks are: hd0 hd1
17 >>
18 >> Again confirming that hd0 is a valid disk (as is hd1, but that is an
19 >> external scsi that does not contain stage1)
20 >>
21 >> But now comes the problem. (I want grub in the MBR.)
22 >>
23 >> grub> setup (hd0)
24 >>
25 >> Error 12: Invalid device requested
26 >>
27 >> What is wrong?
28 >
29 > GRUB can't find its files because you haven't told it which partition
30 > contains them. Only the stage1 goes into the MBR, along with a pointer to
31 > the partition that contains everything else.
32