From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: another grub problem
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 02:15:36
1 At Sun, 06 Jul 2008 20:02:08 -0400 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > The newest update of grub from 0.97-r5 to 0.97-r6 contained the
4 >
5 > *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
6 > the new version's stage1 to your MBR. Until you do,
7 > stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
8 > later stages will be the new version, which could
9 > cause problems such as an unbootable system.
10 >
11 > Since this is only a change in the -r, I suspect that it is not
12 > necessary to reinstall stage1, but I tried anyway and had trouble.
13 > Since I thought I repeated steps that worked before, I am asking for
14 > help/explanations.
15 >
16 > I run grub and then the following dialog.
17 >
18 > GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 7168K upper memory)
19 >
20 > [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first
21 > word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB
22 > lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]
23 >
24 > grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
25 > (hd0,2)
26 >
27 > As expected hd0 is the disk
28 >
29 > grub> setup (hd <TAB>
30 > Possible disks are: hd0 hd1
31 >
32 > Again confirming that hd0 is a valid disk (as is hd1, but that is an
33 > external scsi that does not contain stage1)
34 >
35 > But now comes the problem. (I want grub in the MBR.)
36 >
37 > grub> setup (hd0)
38 >
39 > Error 12: Invalid device requested
40 >
41 > What is wrong?
44 I have now downloaded the 2008.0 livecd. I booted from it and ran
45 grub.
46 Again the find returns (hd0,2) and alas the setup (hd0) returns the
47 same error message.
48
49 allan
50 --