From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] amarok can't use mysql collection
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:37:43
1 On Tuesday 17 November 2009 18:52:00 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon writes:
3 > > On Monday 16 November 2009 21:40:42 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > > Alan McKinnon writes:
5 > > > > I get errors like this whenever amarok updates the collection:
6 > > > >
7 > > > > amarok: [ERROR!] GREPME MySQL query failed! No database
8 > > > > selected on "INSERT INTO images SELECT * FROM images_temp;"
9 > > >
10 > > > Not here. Sometimes the collection gets screwed up a little, but I do
11 > > > not get any output when re-scanning the collection.
12 >
13 > It just happened again. I added a new folder to my /data/mp3 hierarchy
14 > (metal), put some folders of music into it, marked it as collection folder
15 > and told amarok to re-scan the collection. When I search for 'metallica',
16 > it finds 'Rapoon'. When I drag a metallica album folder directly into
17 > amarok, it shows the album's name correctly, but the artist is 'Rapoon'.
18 >
19 > I unmarked all of my collection's folders, let amarok re-scan, and now the
20 > collection is empty. I added all the folders again, scanned, and I have
21 > the same problem.
22 >
23 > I deleted ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/mysqle, started amarok and let it
24 > scan, now all is fine again. Seems I have to do this once in a while.
25
26 To me, that is intolerable on production code with a version number of 2.2.0.
27 It' supposed to be mature, it's not supposed to trash it's own data store!
28 What o you think would happen if Firefox dumped it's browser history and
29 cookies once a week in sync with phases of the moon?
30
31 If any vendor tried to sell me crap code like that at work, they would be out
32 the door on their arse
33
34 [snip]
35
36 > > Amarok, it was nice knowing you. One day you might build and play music
37 > > again on all sane systems out there. Meanwhile, I think I want to hear
38 > > songs play so some other player is going on this machine and you are
39 > > coming off.
40 >
41 > What about using amarok 1.4, until 2.x works fine for you?
42
43 1.4 links to kdelibs-3.5 right? I just spent nearly a year getting rid of 3.5
44 apps...
45
46 > Mine does not work any longer, though. Just noted this when I started it
47 > to compare with the 2.2 one, did not do this a while ago.
48 > /usr/kde/3.5/bin/amarok immediately throws an 'illegal instruction' error.
49 > Huh? I did not change my CFLAGS, they are "-march=k8-sse3 -mfpmath=sse -O2
50 > -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" on a AMD Athlon 4850e. The k8-sse3 should be
51 > sane, gcc -Q --help=target -march=native lists it. I am not sure where I
52 > got the -mfpmath=sse from. I rebuilt amarok 1.4, and get the same error,
53 > probably somewhere in kdelibs or such stuff. Strange. Let's see if this
54 > happens with other stuff, too.
55
56 that looks like you built amarok with binutils-2.20. It affects many apps. Try
57 downgrade binutils, rebuild offending apps and see if it makes a difference.
58 Or you could try rebuild current binutils with USE=gold. I have no idea what
59 it does, but there's a few references on b.g.o. about this working in some
60 cases.
64 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com