From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} image metadata and privacy
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 19:21:39
1 > Yes, I just had to do this myself.
2 >
3 > There are two packages: jhead and exiftool. The former does jpegs only.
4 > I wound up using exiftool, there's a single command to strip all metadata:
5 >
6 > exiftool -all= *.jpg
7 >
8 > If I remember right that creates a copy of the file it processes.
9 >
10 > You can use exiftool to list tags and also remove individual tags. I
11 > used it to make sure there were no GPS tags in pictures from my phone.
12
13 I thought I had some problems getting exiftool to work with a PNG file
14 but now I realize I didn't understand how to use it. I think that
15 should be the de facto method for removing EXIF data from many
16 different image formats.
17
18 - Grant
21 >> Has anyone found a way to completely sanitize images of all
22 >> potentially privacy-invading metadata for posting online? I recently
23 >> discovered that there is actually an EXIF thumbnail image. So if you
24 >> have a photo and you crop it and post it online, the EXIF thumbnail of
25 >> the original uncropped image is still there for all to see.
26 >>
27 >> - Grant