From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to start KDE
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 03:56:02
1 Hi,
2 You should install plasma-desktop and use startkde in your ~/.xinitrc if
3 you do not use session manager.
4 Regards,
5 Alon
6
7 On 21 September 2016 at 06:46, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
8
9 > I've got Gwenview to behave by installing Plasma-meta :
10 > Systemsettings shows up with adequate options & single-click is back,
11 > as are the previews of pix on the folder icons.
12 >
13 > I've been a happy user of Fluxbox for many years,
14 > but am willing to see how well KDE 5 works in 2016 .
15 > From a raw command terminal, I use 'startx' with appropriate .xinitrc :
16 > what do I need to have in the latter in order to start KDE 5 ?
17 > What pkgs am I likely to need to install to make it work ?
18 > I tried 'emerge -pvt kde-startkde', but that seems to be KDE 4 :
19 > what do I need for KDE 5 ?
20 >
21 > So far, I've installed Konsole (and a few other apps) with requirements
22 > & Plasma as above.
23 >
24 > --
26 > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
27 > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
28 > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca