From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:17:26
1 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Grant Edwards
3 > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 2011-09-05, Alex Schuster<wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >>> Graham Murray wonders:
6 >>>
7 >>>> Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems? Today
8 >>>> is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD world has
9 >>>> rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use flag change,
10 >>>> then the next day a new version was put in the tree, then there was an
11 >>>> -r1 release and today there is yet another use flag change.
12 >>> Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now,
13 >> What??
14 >>
15 >> So if I don't have a printer, and have no intention of printing
16 >> anything from this system, libreoffice requires that I install Cups?
17 > In my puny laptop, CUPS takes 1 min to compile, the source code is 4.4
18 > Mb and the installed binaries are 9.3 Mb. It seems to be updated at
19 > the rate of once a month, roughly.
20 >
21 > I have never configured CUPS, *ever*, and it always just works when I
22 > connect to a new network. The printers just appear in the print
23 > dialog, and it always works. It always remembers my last selected
24 > options.
25 >
26 > To me it seems a rather sane default to always require the most used
27 > printing system in an office suite.
30 This is rather odd. For the longest, every time I had a cups update, I
31 had to delete my printers then add them back again. It would not print
32 until I did so. That wasn't long ago either. I haven't had to do that
33 the last few upgrades but for over a year, that was required. It used
34 to get on my nerves. Restarting the service I can understand. It needs
35 to reload its new config and all but not deleting and adding them again.
36
37 Maybe you and I should add, YMMV. ;-)
38
39 Dale
40