From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 15:58:27
1 On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2011-09-05, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> Graham Murray wonders:
5 >>
6 >>> Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems? Today
7 >>> is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD world has
8 >>> rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use flag change,
9 >>> then the next day a new version was put in the tree, then there was an
10 >>> -r1 release and today there is yet another use flag change.
11 >>
12 >> Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now,
13 >
14 > What??
15 >
16 > So if I don't have a printer, and have no intention of printing
17 > anything from this system, libreoffice requires that I install Cups?
18
19 In my puny laptop, CUPS takes 1 min to compile, the source code is 4.4
20 Mb and the installed binaries are 9.3 Mb. It seems to be updated at
21 the rate of once a month, roughly.
22
23 I have never configured CUPS, *ever*, and it always just works when I
24 connect to a new network. The printers just appear in the print
25 dialog, and it always works. It always remembers my last selected
26 options.
27
28 To me it seems a rather sane default to always require the most used
29 printing system in an office suite.
30
31 > Sounds like it's time to switch back to OOo.
32
33 It would not surprise me that they will switch to mandatory CUPS in
34 the future. It just happened before in LO because they develop new
35 features faster, I believe.
36
37 Regards.
38 --