From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:51:10
1 On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 11:57:06AM -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > In my puny laptop, CUPS takes 1 min to compile, the source code is 4.4
4 > Mb and the installed binaries are 9.3 Mb. It seems to be updated at
5 > the rate of once a month, roughly.
6
7 > I have never configured CUPS, *ever*, and it always just works when I
8 > connect to a new network. The printers just appear in the print
9 > dialog, and it always works. It always remembers my last selected
10 > options.
11
12 > To me it seems a rather sane default to always require the most used
13 > printing system in an office suite.
14
15 Is that right? How about it being saner to conform to standardised
16 interfaces, protocols and formats? At one time, Sendmail was the most
17 used mail server. Does anybody still use it? For that matter why
18 shouldn't we all be required to use the most used operating system?
19
20 Seems we have a case of "embrace and extend" working here.
21
22 No, the sane alternative is to use the `lpr' command, possibly augmented
23 by special arguments for particular spoolers, but always having a
24 fallback to standard `lpr'. That way, everybody's happy. Even me. ;-)
25
26 Do you know a decent office suite which runs under G/L? Looks like I'll
27 be needing one soon.
28
29 > Regards.
30 > --
31 > Canek Peláez Valdés
32 > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
33 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
36 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).