From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Sudden auto-unmount of an encfs-partition ... why?
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 17:36:41
1 On 2017-05-21 10:01, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2
3 > On 2017-05-21 17:59, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 >
5 > > cryptsetup seems to be of another flavor than encfs, since its depends
6 > > on gpg (see below), which encfs does not use as far as I know.
7 > > I think encfs uses symmetric ciphers and cryptsetup uses a pub/private
8 > > key pair. But I am by no means a cryptologist (I even cant spell this
9 > > correctly...or...? ;)
10 >
11 > The binary may link to gpg, and the package may depend on it (I haven't
12 > checked), but the way I use it is definitely symmetric cryptography. I
13 > know enough to be sure of that.
14
15 But I omitted another essential difference between encfs and cryptsetup
16 (and also, apparently, between ecryptfs and cryptsetup) which Simon has
17 helpfully pointed out. Sorry that I forgot about this at first.
20 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
21 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
22 Don't clear-text sign:
23 http://primate.net/~itz/blog/the-problem-with-gpg-signatures.html