From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux, reiserfs and file fragmentation
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:12:05
1 On Friday 15 February 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > Uwe Thiem wrote:
3 > > Back in the days when I still used DOS, one certainly wanted to
4 > > defragment periodically. The system became significantly more
5 > > performant for a while. On Linux/Unix, I never bothered.
6 > >
7 > > Uwe
8 >
9 > Yea, I remember those days too. Put the disk and get it started then
10 > wait until it finishes the next day. Sometimes it would take more
11 > time than that. I mean, when you got a puter with 64K of ram and
12 > maybe 200 or 300MBs of hard drive space, well, it takes a while. Oh,
13 > that 4MHz blazingly fast CPU helped a lot too. ;-)
14
15 I remember using PCTools for defrag then switching to Norton. Took 2
16 days on a 20M MFM drive - Norton used a different layout scheme to
17 PCTools and wanted to change *everything* around.
18
19 Heck, I remember changing the interleaving on that disk from 1 to 3 and
20 getting a massive performance increase...
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list