From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux, reiserfs and file fragmentation
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:57:27
1 Uwe Thiem wrote:
4 > Back in the days when I still used DOS, one certainly wanted to
5 > defragment periodically. The system became significantly more
6 > performant for a while. On Linux/Unix, I never bothered.
7 >
8 > Uwe
12 Yea, I remember those days too. Put the disk and get it started then
13 wait until it finishes the next day. Sometimes it would take more time
14 than that. I mean, when you got a puter with 64K of ram and maybe 200
15 or 300MBs of hard drive space, well, it takes a while. Oh, that 4MHz
16 blazingly fast CPU helped a lot too. ;-)
17
18 Dale
19
21 --