From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] pop3 server advice
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:49:03
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > I'm fairly sure I was still using mbox files at the time, although I
4 > can't recall whether it makes any difference here.
5 >
6 > Or you could use dovecot. It's not quite as lightweight as teapop, but
7 > the config file is well explained.
8
9 Thanks for the input... I've installed 3 pop3 servers now just to see
10 there documentation and in every case there is very little other than
11 a few cmdline switches. popa3d appears to be the absolute worst.
12
13 After starting it I cannot get a connection from another local lan
14 machine on the pop port
15
16 syslog shows:
17 Jun 27 11:20:50 reader popa3d[21498]:
18 Authentication failed for bobbie
19
20 Well I created the account and passwd so I know those are correct but
21 popa3d offers no debug info or switch for verbosity.
22
23 Apparently its felt that an admin should know how to set this up and
24 debug etc. Not this one (as is often the case with me). Apparenlty
25 there is some unwritten law amongst pop3 daemon authors to keep it all
26 close to the chest. hehe.
27
28 Thanks for the dovecot tip... a well commented config sounds pretty good.
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list