From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Name Resolution Problem
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:24:57
1 Russell Slater wrote:
2 > I am relatively new to Gentoo and I am having a problem resolving
3 > localhost. I always get "unknown host localhost" I can connect to any
4 > other site such as www.yahoo.com <http://www.yahoo.com> but nothing else
5 > works. I have gone through the Gentoo Handbook several times and googled
6 > the issue but could not find a resolution. Please let me know what you
7 > files you might need to look at to troubleshoot the issue.
8 >
9 > Thanks,
10 >
11 > Russ
14 Normally localhost maps to 127.0.0.1 inside /etc/hosts (see the hosts(5) manpage). This file basically allows you to override the normal DNS resolution process for specific host names.
15
16 Zac
17 --
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list