From: Russell Slater <russellds@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Name Resolution Problem
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 03:13:59

The /etc/hosts file has the only the following entry in it:

3

127.0.0.1     localhost

4

I cannot get the system to reconize anything that I place in /etc/hosts. For some reason it does not appear that the /etc/hosts file is being processed. Is there a config file somewhere that specifies whether or not the hosts file gets processed? My system is setup for DHCP and resolv.conf gets overwritten every time the system is booted.

5

Any ideas?

6

     Russ

>From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
>To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
>Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Name Resolution Problem
>Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:20:37 -0700
>
>Russell Slater wrote:
>>I am relatively new to Gentoo and I am having a problem resolving
>>localhost. I always get "unknown host localhost" I can connect to
>>any other site such as www.yahoo.com <http://www.yahoo.com> but
>>nothing else works. I have gone through the Gentoo Handbook several
>>times and googled the issue but could not find a resolution. Please
>>let me know what you files you might need to look at to
>>troubleshoot the
7 issue.