From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Advice for 64-bit n00b?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 12:03:08
1 On 4 March 2010 09:15, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Donnerstag 04 März 2010, Stroller wrote:
5 >> I'd be really quite happy if I knew that this decision was revocable -
6 >> if I could choose "no-multilib" now and change my mind using eselect
7 >> later. Presumably  I can choose to keep these 32-bit libs for the
8 >> moment & blow them away if I find I don't need them - this lib32 is,
9 >> after all, in the stage3-amd64-*tar.bz2, so what is the point in
10 >> offering me "no-multilib" if I can't do that?
11 >
12 > you can not change on the fly. going from no-multilib to multilib means re-
13 > installation.
14 > no-multilib is meant for the very brave or people who know exactly that they
15 > never need 32bit apps on that box.
16 >
17 > Your manpages will take up more space then those few 32bit emul libs that
18 > might or not be installed. So there is no downside going multilib.
19
20 Yep, that was my decision too for a desktop installation. If I were
21 building a slim server and checked that all apps required are
22 available as 64bit I might have chosen a no-multilib profile. For
23 anything else I probably wouldn't.
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick