From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:40:26
1 On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 09:28 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:40:49 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
3 >
4 > > However, when I first used gentoo I was always the first in my LUG to
5 > > have the latest kde, evolution, mplayer etc, and that was running x86
6 > > not ~x86. My perception is that gentoo is no longer first off the block
7 > > with stable releases.
8 >
9 > I think some of this confusion is caused by the way people switch between
10 > two uses of the word stable. It can mean "doesn't crash", but then most
11 > upstream latest packages fit there, and some long standing releases
12 > don't. It can also mean "not changing" and this is what some people want
13 > from a distribution. If you run a server farm, you don't want to be
14 > continually upgrading just to get new features you don't need, you just
15 > want a system that works with timely security fixes. This is why Debian
16 > stable is so old, because for these people, old is good. Look at the
17 > situation with Firefox recently, where a new testing ebuild seemed to
18 > come out almost as soon as the previous one finished building. Great for
19 > those who want the latest and greatest, not so good for those who want a
20 > stable system. Gentoo gives you the choice, and even lets you pick and
21 > mix, so don't complain because you make an unsuitable choice.
22 >
23 > If you want the latest now, you need to use the testing packages, because
24 > the QA rules demand they remain in testing for a while.
27 Thanks, Neil. Already have begun testing my luck with the testing
28 packages. I'll see what happens. Thanks for your explanation of the
29 testking packages.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list