From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:28:50
1 On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:40:49 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
2
3 > However, when I first used gentoo I was always the first in my LUG to
4 > have the latest kde, evolution, mplayer etc, and that was running x86
5 > not ~x86. My perception is that gentoo is no longer first off the block
6 > with stable releases.
7
8 I think some of this confusion is caused by the way people switch between
9 two uses of the word stable. It can mean "doesn't crash", but then most
10 upstream latest packages fit there, and some long standing releases
11 don't. It can also mean "not changing" and this is what some people want
12 from a distribution. If you run a server farm, you don't want to be
13 continually upgrading just to get new features you don't need, you just
14 want a system that works with timely security fixes. This is why Debian
15 stable is so old, because for these people, old is good. Look at the
16 situation with Firefox recently, where a new testing ebuild seemed to
17 come out almost as soon as the previous one finished building. Great for
18 those who want the latest and greatest, not so good for those who want a
19 stable system. Gentoo gives you the choice, and even lets you pick and
20 mix, so don't complain because you make an unsuitable choice.
21
22 If you want the latest now, you need to use the testing packages, because
23 the QA rules demand they remain in testing for a while.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Windows Multitasking - screwing up several things at once