From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:50:04
1 On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:13:14 -0500
2 Joe Menola wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday August 14 2005 4:38 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
5 > > Unstable does not really cut it IMHO. I am a gentoo enthusiast through
6 > > and through, but plonking something in portage with a ~ beside it does
7 > > not constitute a release of a recent version IMHO.
8 >
9 > Can you name any version of Linux where version upgrades go directly into
10 > stable?
11 > It's all about choice...the "latest n greatest" or "tried n true".
12 > And that's how it is in any flavor of Linux I've tried, LFS included.
13
14 I am not challenging anything of what the "biters" have said in relation
15 to my post. I know the need for testing and i know that many people
16 successfully run ~x86 systems for the latest and greatest.
17
18 However, when I first used gentoo I was always the first in my LUG to
19 have the latest kde, evolution, mplayer etc, and that was running x86
20 not ~x86. My perception is that gentoo is no longer first off the block
21 with stable releases.
22
23 I also realise that this is in no small part due to the huge increase in
24 the number of packages in portage, the growing complexity of package and
25 dependency management as both the tree and the "bloat" of complex
26 software grows.
27
28 However I also see constant complaints of people who contribute ebuilds
29 for new versions or new packages to bugzilla and then have them sit
30 there for months without any activity at all.
31
32 Myself, I love gentoo and this is not a complaint, merely an observation
33 that things are no longer as they were, and that there appear to be some
34 factors slowing down the progression of packages in their path from
35 bugzilla to stable. Maybe this is because the concepts of choice in
36 gentoo lead to an environment where it is harder to track all possible
37 combinations of those choices. After all if there were 50 use variables
38 [1] there are 2^50 combinations of those variables being off or on.
39 Combine that with variations to architecture, CFLAGS and whatever else
40 you can configure and you have a much tougher development environment
41 than one where everything is compiled into "we decide what you get"
42 binaries.
43
44 [1] i have no idea how many there are.
45
46 Cheers.
50 > -jm
51 > --