From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: EFI-based bootloader for BIOS-based computers (?)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:56:48
1 On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 20 Feb 2014 01:22:24 eroen wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:39:51 -0800, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > I just spotted that phrase in the sourceforge newsletter:
6 > > >
7 > > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
8 > > >
9 > > > and it seems to me like an oxymoron. If that phrase makes
10 > > > logical sense then my definitions of 'BIOS' and 'EFI' need
11 > > > the latest updates :)
12 > > >
13 > > > Until now I thought that EFI is a recent replacement for
14 > > > "BIOS" based machines.
15 > > >
16 > > > Can anyone clarify the linguistics involved here?
17 > >
18 > > The scope of UEFI is somewhat greater than that of traditional BIOSes.
19 > > Both do various hardware initialization and such, but UEFIs (can) have
20 > > a number of additional features, including more flexibility in what it
21 > > can launch from where (eg. network booting without iPXE) and even an
22 > > interactive shell. See [1] for a less organized list of features.
23 > >
24 > > I'm unfamiliar with this project in specific, but I'm going by the line
25 > >
26 > > This is EFI-based bootloader for BIOS-based computers created as a
27 > > replacement to EDK2/Duet bootloader http://www.tianocore.org.
28 > >
29 > > I have a box running Duet, which is an UEFI implementation that can be
30 > > launched by (eg.) the extlinux boot loader on a legacy BIOS system.
31 > > Once Duet is launched, the system is mostly indistinguishable from a
32 > > native UEFI system that has booted into it's UEFI firmware.
33 > >
34 > > From here, Duet can let the user go through menus to select an EFI
35 > > executable to launch (a EFI-stub enabled kernel or some sort of boot
36 > > loader), or it can automatically launch something based on existing
37 > > configuration.
38 > >
39 > > 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI#Features
40 >
41 > I guess this can be seen as a BIOS chainloaded UEFI?
42 >
43 > BTW, has anyone tried hackintosh in a VM? I am thinking of using
44 > AppleMac's
45 > Mail program, when I can no longer run the legacy kmail application. A bit
46 > drastic to have to load a whole VM just for mail, but I can't find another
47 > client that suits.
48 >
49 > --
50 > Regards,
51 > Mick
54 Last I did much research on it, the only semi-working implementation of OSX
55 in a VM required VMware Workstation as the host, involved booting a hacked
56 together boot cd image, and crashed and burned hard on updates. It was
57 interesting, but not very viable for anything that's of any measurable
58 importance at all. I tested it out for a couple days to compile a little
59 pice of code a mac user friend wanted to play with... it was dog slow on my
60 system otherwise (but that was likely my system's fault, old E8400 @4GB ram
61 at the time + Win7)
64 Poison [BLX]
65 Joshua M. Murphy