From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: EFI-based bootloader for BIOS-based computers (?)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:00:54
1 On Thursday 20 Feb 2014 01:22:24 eroen wrote:
2 > On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:39:51 -0800, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I just spotted that phrase in the sourceforge newsletter:
4 > >
5 > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
6 > >
7 > > and it seems to me like an oxymoron. If that phrase makes
8 > > logical sense then my definitions of 'BIOS' and 'EFI' need
9 > > the latest updates :)
10 > >
11 > > Until now I thought that EFI is a recent replacement for
12 > > "BIOS" based machines.
13 > >
14 > > Can anyone clarify the linguistics involved here?
15 >
16 > The scope of UEFI is somewhat greater than that of traditional BIOSes.
17 > Both do various hardware initialization and such, but UEFIs (can) have
18 > a number of additional features, including more flexibility in what it
19 > can launch from where (eg. network booting without iPXE) and even an
20 > interactive shell. See [1] for a less organized list of features.
21 >
22 > I'm unfamiliar with this project in specific, but I'm going by the line
23 >
24 > This is EFI-based bootloader for BIOS-based computers created as a
25 > replacement to EDK2/Duet bootloader http://www.tianocore.org.
26 >
27 > I have a box running Duet, which is an UEFI implementation that can be
28 > launched by (eg.) the extlinux boot loader on a legacy BIOS system.
29 > Once Duet is launched, the system is mostly indistinguishable from a
30 > native UEFI system that has booted into it's UEFI firmware.
31 >
32 > From here, Duet can let the user go through menus to select an EFI
33 > executable to launch (a EFI-stub enabled kernel or some sort of boot
34 > loader), or it can automatically launch something based on existing
35 > configuration.
36 >
37 > 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI#Features
38
39 I guess this can be seen as a BIOS chainloaded UEFI?
40
41 BTW, has anyone tried hackintosh in a VM? I am thinking of using AppleMac's
42 Mail program, when I can no longer run the legacy kmail application. A bit
43 drastic to have to load a whole VM just for mail, but I can't find another
44 client that suits.
47 Regards,
48 Mick