From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Qemu tun/tap privledge problem: HOWTO is wrong?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:06:08
1 On 2007-12-18, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 >> Even though I created tap0 with the command shown, I still have
4 >> to run Qemu as root or I get the following error:
5 >>
6 >> qemu -kernel-kqemu -localtime -hda w2kdisk.img -net nic
7 >> -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=/usr/local/etc/qemu-ifup
8 >>
9 >> warning: could not open /dev/net/tun: no virtual network emulation
10 >> Could not initialize device 'tap'
11 >>
12 >> If I run qemu as root, it works fine.
13 >
14 > You also have to chmod go+rw /dev/net/tun (if you haven't
15 > already), and probably modify the related udev rule to make
16 > the change persistent.
17
18 That was the problem. The user-owned tap device is necessary
19 but not sufficient to run qemu as a normal user. That user
20 must also have r/w permission to /dev/net/tun. I'll take a
21 shot at fixing up the Wiki page so it's correct.
24 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Will this never-ending
25 at series of PLEASURABLE
26 visi.com EVENTS never cease?
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list