From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] normal user do not have access to usb, and many other things
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:41:54
1 On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:14 AM, Xi Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > i usually use my linux system with root account. i think it is not
5 > good, so i created a normal user account for myself. but i found that
6 > i cannot access many system resources, like usb disk, battery
7 > informatiion, etc.
8 >
9 > i am already in these groups: disk,wheel,audio,video,usb,haldaemon,plugdev.
10 >
11 > now, i cannot get notification when i plug a new usb device. my
12 > battery gadget says battery information is not available.
13 >
14 > all there stuffs works fine if i log in with root account.
15
16 Depending on your specific USB device you may need to edit UDEV rules
17 to set proper permissions on the device node. For example I had to do
18 that for normal users to read my digital camera.