From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Open Question: The feasibility of a complete portage binhost
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:53:32
1 I actually had kind of a cool idea while walking to the bus stop this
2 morning; a JIT Portage server that builds packages on demand. This would
3 require:
4
5 * Writing a portage server
6 * Patching portage to connect to said server
7
8 Basically, `emerge <pkgname>` would send a message to the server "I need
9 www-client/firefox-35.0[pulseaudio]". The server would return the
10 tarball if already built, otherwise build it and then return it. This
11 would be reasonably complex to implement in practice, but it would let
12 everybody using the same binhost to run their own custom USE flags.
13
14 Re more accurate numbers: dev-java/icedtea. Let's pretend building this
15 takes ~5 minutes (this is faster than my desktop can do it in RAM with 6
16 hyper-threaded cores). There are 13 USE flags that are configurable if
17 you're using HotSpot; we'll ignore JamVM and CACAO. On a single server,
18 this would take nearly a month (28.44 days, exactly).
19
20 Alec