From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia and optimus
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:53:18
1 On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 01:09:16 PM behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > > You need bumblebee. Otherwise it's not possible to use the Nvidia
3 > > Optimus chip.
4 >
5 > I think that it is possible, or supposed to be possible!
6 > The gentoo wiki says that Nvidia drivers are now supporting the optimus, so
7 > it is called "native optimus support"
8 >
9 > > > I just waned to use optimus without that, but it seem the it is not
10 > > > easy!
11 > >
12 > > It's not possible, because the Nvidia Optimus chip isn't a full featured
13 > > graphics card, and doesn't write directly to the screen. Joost already
14 > > explained it pretty well.
15 > >
16 > > Exactly, that is why the Nvidia driver is using the xrandr for offloading
17 >
18 > the tasks.
19
20 That convoluted method (xrandr......) is what bumblebee does in the
21 background. Along with enabling/disabling the nvidia chip.
24 Joost