From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - slideshow-type screensaver with custom images
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 00:15:32
1 On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 19:16 -0400, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 05:36:57PM -0500, Penguin Lover Michael Sullivan squawked:
3 > > My wife would like to know if there is a slideshow-type screensaver for
4 > > Linux that would allow her to display her cat pictures as a screensaver.
5 > > I would like to know if anything like this is available in portage. If
6 > > it helps, we have a website with all the pictures on it that would serve
7 > > as input for the screensaver, however, my wife also has the individual
8 > > pictures from the web site saved on her hard drive...
11 > emerge xscreensaver
12 >
13 > See if there's one that suits your needs. If not, adding something
14 > like that is fairly trivial in linux: you just need to edit
15 > .xscreensaver and include a image display program. For example, if you
16 > install the image display program qiv, here's what it says in its man
17 > page:
18 >
19 > XSCREENSAVER SUPPORT
20 > To use qiv with xscreensaver, either type "make install-xscreensaver"
21 > or add the following to your ~/.Xresources:
22 >
23 > xscreensaver.programs: \
24 > /usr/bin/qiv -srfid 5 your_pix/\* \n\
25 > /usr/bin/qiv -srfid 5 your_other_pix/\* \n\
26 >
27 > W
28 > --
29 > Two people turned in problem set 12 without indicating their names!
30 > This is true scholarship, done for it's own sake and not for
31 > material advantage, like a grade.
32 > It is an honor to be associated with such nobility of soul.
33 > ~Prof. Kirk T. McDonald, DeathEM'03
34 > Sortir en Pantoufles: up 182 days, 15:39
35
36 We followed your advice about adding the lines to ~/Xresources. Now,
37 under what screensaver name will the pictures be displayed? Right now
38 my wife has her screensaver set to Random Screensaver...
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list