From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 17:49:52
1 On 26/04/2013 23:43, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:10:46 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> I wasn't born here in Africa and didn't spend primary school years here
5 >> either. But I distinctly recall having to walk to school in the snow and
6 >> in the dark to geet their before 9 o'clock. Not fun. DST would have
7 >> helped.
8 >
9 > No it wouldn't - DST makes it darker in the morning. When I was about 11,
10 > the government experimented with using BST all year round. One of the
11 > reasons given for not doing it was that kids would have to go to school
12 > in the dark.
17 Hmmm. DST as punted here was couched in reverse terms - have kids go to
18 school when it was light, as it would still be light in the early
19 afternoon when they went home.
20
21 DST never took off here, it would only be useful in the Cape down south
22 and only for about a month or so of the year.
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com