From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is starting xdm enough to see something in X?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 20:59:40
1 On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 22 May 2009 12:19:40 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> If there is absolutely no difference then I don't need to bother with
5 >> this. If there is then I do. The real issue here is that Myth doesn't
6 >> work. If I can be certain that displaying Myth apps on a remote
7 >> screen, such as mythtv-setup or mythfrontend, is really the same then
8 >> I'll just do that. However those apps are currently failing so I'm
9 >> trying to eliminate issues, and possibly creating one I don't care
10 >> about in doing that!
11 >
12 > My mythbackend box does not have xorg-server installed. I run
13 > mythtv-setup over SSH with no problems.
16 > --
17 > Neil Bothwick
18
19 Yes, I can on my existing backend server, but on the new one I'm
20 building it doesn't seem to work. I attempted to follow the
21 instructions here:
22
23 http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html
24
25 but for some reason it wouldn't work reliably. I think there may be 2 issues:
26
27 1) Somethign about my understanding of the mysql permissions
28 (privileges?) over the network not being right.
29
30 2) Something about having two backend servers on the network.
31
32 The frontend config files aren't very network aware as they hardwire
33 an IP address in them. Additionally there's something new with a
34 config.xml file which I just found out about and might be conflicting
35 with changes I made by hand to the mysql.txt file.
36
37 I've just in the last few minutes done a drop on the mythconverg
38 database and I'm starting over from scratch.
39
40 Thanks,
41 Mark