From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What /devTTY? is the modem normally under?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:35:34
1 On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:56:49 -0500
2 John Jolet wrote:
3
4 > a modem on a laptop isn't likely to be under anything. MOST of them
5 > are "winmodems" and are mostly software. windows software, to be
6 > exact. There may be projects out there to get some of them to work,
7 > but I'm not sure what the success rate is these days. Last I looked,
8 > it was abysmal.
9 >
10 > However, modems in general are normally under /dev/modem, which
11 > should be a symlink to /dev/ttyS0, or /dev/ttyS1.
12
13 OTOH many of them can be made to work. You need to find out what sort it is.
14
15 The folowing resources may assist:
16
17 http://www.linux-laptop.net/ - database of laptops and links to other
18 users experiences.
19
20 http://tuxmobil.org/laptop_manufacturer.html ditto
21
22 http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ - in particular the scanmodem utility.
23 Run it and look at the files it produces.
24
25 The linmodem mailing list is also referenced on that page.
26
27 Different linmodem drivers place the device in different places. My
28 laptop has an LTmodem which has its device in a different place to an
29 slmodem. The good news is that once you have it working tyou can make a
30 symlink to /dev/modem (or get udev to do so).
31
32 More good news is that if your modem has a linux driver it is probably
33 in portage. You really do need to study the documentation though.
34
35 Be aware of this too: lspci will give you a vendor and product ID. These can be confusing, as the unique winmodem is often the subsystem
36 underneath that. I can't give you as modem example, but look at this
37 output of lspci -vn in realtion to my ethernet card:
38
39 0000:00:12.0 Class 0200: 1106:3065 (rev 74)
40 Subsystem: 1106:0102
41
42 Often the top line can be the same (the bit that says 1106:3065) but the
43 second, subsystem line (the 1106:0102 bit) can say completely different
44 things on different modems requiring different drivers. The tricky bit
45 is that lspci (without -v) can give the same result in either case.
46 However scanmodem should give accurate results. Get the latest direct
47 from the site I gave above, as things move along fast in winmodemland.
48
49 Good luck.