From: Davide Carnovale <francesco.davide.carnovale@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stage3 only for i486?
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 07:48:57
1 Stroller, i didn't knew what a chroot was back then either, but i've found
2 in gentoo a vdery good teacher. If you are willing to learn, with gentoo
3 you can go as deeper as you want and learn a lot. Most of the linux
4 knowledge i have i owe it to gentoo.
5
6 As far as i understand know, chroot is pretty much a cage. you confine the
7 system in a smaller folder structure and from the inside, you cannot access
8 the outside (while it's true the opposite). it's particularly handy to
9 "cage" a webserver for instance, so if someone hacks it, they don't see the
10 entire system, but only the portion you chrooted.
11
12 when installing gentoo, you chroot into the smaller gentoo system,
13 contiained into the booting distro, be it a livecd or another distro.
14
15 D
16 Il giorno 04/apr/2013 05:07, "Stroller" <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> ha