From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound. Please, help!
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 18:20:08
1 gevisz wrote:
2 >
3 > Thank you for your help. I turned on the computer, changed options snd
4 > cards_limit to 2 and ran aplay /usr/share/sound/alsa/*.wav (I have a
5 > different named wav files). There was a sound. Then I started Firefox
6 > and opened some youtube videos. The sound was present as well. Then I
7 > opened alsamixer. Some of the channels were muted and some had no full
8 > sound. Nevertheless, the sound had been present. I unmuted all the
9 > channels and set the full sound level on all of them. Then I again
10 > checked that the sound is present. It was. So, I rebooted the
11 > computer, ran alsamixer and made sure that all channels are unmuted
12 > and have full sound level. But this time the sound was absent exactly
13 > as I expected. Neither aplay nor Firefox produced any sound. I have
14 > already seen this behavior when I experimented with the kernel
15 > configuration about 8 months ago: the same kernel options, the same
16 > configuration files, all alsamixer channels are unmuted but after one
17 > reboot I have a sound and on another I have no sound. Any thoughts?
22 Try adding alsasound to the default runlevel.  And then:
23
24 /etc/init.d/alsasound start
25
26 and then
27
28 /etc/init.d/alsasound save
29
30 I think it is save.  If it pukes, may have to peek into the init script
31 and see what option it is. That should make it survive a reboot.
32
33 Dale
34
36
37 P. S.  I found a new sledge hammer.  Is this being sent as plain text
38 only?  No HTML at all?