From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:47:03
1 On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 03:22:16 -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > > That may be true for PCI devices but not for USB ones. If you unplug a
4 > > USB device and plug it back into the same port, it will get a
5 > > different device number. The naming is more predictable, but it's not
6 > > there yet.
7 >
8 > That doesn't sound right. If unplugging a USB net device and plugging
9 > it again *in the same port* results in a different device *name*, then
10 > it is a bug and should be reported; the description of the algorithm
11 > in [1] sounds like it should get always the same name for the same
12 > port, unless I'm misunderstanding something.
13
14 It certainly was the case. I couldn't test it directly because this
15 laptop doesn't have support for such devices, but plugging, unplugging
16 and replugging a USB ethernet adaptor resulted in a change of device
17 number. I just switched to a different machine and it does indeed give the
18 same name now, so things have been fixed and the interface names are now
19 predictable.
20
21 Ugly as hell, hard to remember, but they are predictable.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.